National Oceanography Centre – Project mini sites
A full list of projects can be found at noc.ac.uk/project
Projects hosted here:
- Andrex (Antarctic Deep Water Rates of Export) The ANDREX project seeks to assess the role of the Weddell gyre in driving the southern closure of the meridional overturning circulation, in ventilating the deep global ocean, and in sequestering carbon and nutrients in the global ocean abyss.
- Codemap (Complex Deep-sea Environments: Mapping habitat heterogeneity As Proxy for biodiversity) Complex Deep-sea Environments: Mapping habitat heterogeneity As Proxy for biodiversity (CODEMAP) searches for alternative methods to quantify deep-sea biodiversity.
- CORER (Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy Research) CORER unites academics, researchers and postgraduate students with ambition to produce novel and fundamental scientific research within the offshore renewable energy field and disseminate research to industry to reduce inherent risks and uncertainties in the offshore renewable energy sector
- The Extended Ellett Line The Extended Ellett Line is a project to measure and understand the ocean to the west of the UK. We are looking at how and why the currents, temperature and salinity have changed over the past few decades.
- HOSTACE (Historical Ocean Surface Temperatures: Accuracy, Characterisation and Evaluation) We hope HOSTACE will improve our understanding of how the dramatic change in technology we have seen over the observational record has affected the consistency of the measured SSTs.
- Landslide-Tsunami Consortium The consortium will run for four years from October 2012 and involves sea and land-based fieldwork, modelling studies and societal cost estimates.
- MESO-CLIP (MESoscale Ocean eddies and CLImate Predictability) Mesoscale ocean eddies are ubiquitous swirls of water in the world oceans. In the framework of MESO-CLIP we will investigate how strongly and on what timescales these eddies affect the variability and predictability of the ocean and of the atmosphere.
- Mideast Coral Reef Society Initiative The Mideast Coral Reef Society (MCRS) is an association of researchers and members of governmental, non-governmental, academic, industry and private sector organisations with an interest in a broad range of aspects of Middle Eastern reefs
- National Tidal and Sea Level Facility The National Tidal and Sea Level Facility (NTSLF) was established in 2002 to reflect the importance of national sea level monitoring to the public and government, as well as to the academic community.
- SenseOCEAN SenseOCEAN draws together world leading marine sensor developers to create a highly integrated multifunction and cost-effective in situ marine biogeochemical sensor system.
- Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity + Surface Ocean Salinity SMOS+SOS is a project funded under the ESA STSE (Support to Science Element) programme to demonstrate the performance and scientific value of SMOS Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) products through five well-defined case studies (CS).
- SPITFIRE (Southampton Partnership for Innovative Training of Future Investigators Researching the Environment) SPITFIRE is a NERC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) creating an innovative multi-disciplinary experience for the effective training of future leaders in environmental science, engineering, technology development, business, and policy.
- TEA-COSI (The Environment of the Arctic: Climate, Ocean and Sea Ice) The project will deliver a substantial enhancement in our understanding of key Arctic ocean and sea ice processes and their impact on the Arctic and wider climate system, in both the present and future.
- UK-OSNAP Improving understanding of the circulation and fluxes of the North Atlantic Subpolar Gyre